Get free HIV testing & HIV treatment at a private practice near you
A programme to make it easy to start taking antiretroviral medicines when you discover you have HIV
HIV Blood tests
√ Free HIV tests supplied by Government
√ Free HIV medicines supplied by Government
√ Free HIV blood tests supplied by Government
√ Free HIV consultations for the 1st year on treatment
What is the GP Care Cell?
The GP Care Cell (GPCC) is a model of contracting private GPs to provide HIV services on behalf of the Department of Health. Through government and donor funding the GPCC offers free HIV testing services and free HIV treatment for those who test HIV positive.
This programme is designed for:
- People who find it difficult to go to public sector clinics for free HIV services
- People who don’t know their HIV status and would like to take a free HIV test
- People living with HIV who have never been on treatment before
- People who do not have medical aid but access health services in the private sector (Note: if you do have medical aid, you can still talk to these GPs, but enrol via your medical aid)
What the programme provides
- Free HIV tests (paid for by government)
- Free HIV-related blood tests (paid for by government)
- Free clinical consultations for the first year of HIV treatment to make sure that the treatment works for you (paid for by PEPFAR)
- Free HIV-related medicines (paid for by government)
What happens after the first year of treatment?
If everything is fine after the 1st year, your medicines will be delivered at your closest pick-up-point. You will then only have to visit a doctor twice a year for a checkup. You can either continue coming to this practice and pay for the visit yourself or go to a government clinic for free follow ups.
If you develop complications or resistance, you may need to be referred to your nearest government clinic as the GP may not have access to the medicines needed to treat you in line with guidelines. Your health is our number one priority.
Where we work – GPs in the network
GPCC is currently active in Gauteng. Patients can dial *134*3041# to find a participating GP near where they live or work.
Please visit our Network Listings Page for full reference
Alternatively you can use the interactive map